Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

?????????

Observership, Externship, Research opportunities. United States Clinical Experience.

?????????

Postby Learner » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:15 am

hello people i need some advise...

as i plan, i would have like 7-8 months on my hand next year and i would like to make the maximum of it...

so first of all do you think you could tell me what is the difference between observerships, externships, clerkships, research etc???? especially specifying advantages, disadvantages, minimum time requirements, qualifications and any other tips you feel applicable.

Secondly, i want to apply for some clinical experience in any hospital in Austin, Texas.. actually i am confused about which speciality i want to get into as well... i was thinking of taking turnwise rotations in different departments and hopefully it will become more easier for me to decide what i want to pick for my career. is it possible to apply to various departments in the same hospital and request a turnwise rotation??? not really interested in a transitional year as i don't have that much time.

could you please brief the process of how to obtain one of the above. (other than the option of asking some uncle/aunt or relative to take us under them for a while)

do we write letters to specific residency program co ordinators or to someone else in the hospital??? and what do we mention???

any ideas or suggestions how i could go about this will really be appreciated?????
Learner

Postby anatolyk » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:46 am

Check programs' web sites. They usually have a section dedicated to medical students clerkships/electives. Even though you are not a student anymore, ask them if you may have a rotation there.
anatolyk

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to USCE Observerships/Externships/Research US Clinical Experience