Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

to anatolyk

Observership, Externship, Research opportunities. United States Clinical Experience.

to anatolyk

Postby Lisa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:25 pm

Hello,
step 1 214/90
step 2 236/99
step 2 CS feb 2011
US citizen IMG
I am currently in the US trying to get an observationship in pediatrics in Albuqurque,New Mexico..
do you know in which hospitals should I start looking ???
I will be going to all the hospitals there but just needed your opinion being the expert !
Is new mexico an internationals friendly state ??..lots of my friends adviced me to go to michigan as it is more international friendly .
i appreciate your help

thank you very much
Lisa

Re: to anatolyk

Postby anatolyk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:10 pm

Great scores!

NM is simply small. There are IMGs at programs, but there aren't that many programs available.

I am not an expert in particular hospitals. I would say apply everywhere. If you have to prioritize, VA (Veteran Affairs) hospitals are usually more open to observerships/externships. If this doesn't work, you can try calling private practices. You will ave better chances of success calling doctors of same country of origin, solo practices.
anatolyk

Postby Lisa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks
I got a ED and internal Med Observation in a Va Hospital..
I will be applying for a Pediatrics residency program ..
will this observation look bad on my CV and will the recommendation letter from Ed or IM help me or not ?
Thank you
Lisa

Postby anatolyk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:48 am

They will look great as long as you also do some observation at pediatrics clinic. This should be much easier to find than hospital observation.
anatolyk

Return to USCE Observerships/Externships/Research US Clinical Experience