Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Work in US for Australian IMG

Observership, Externship, Research opportunities. United States Clinical Experience.

Work in US for Australian IMG

Postby beaver1981 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:55 am

Hi,

I'm an IMG (Australian medical school) and have worked for the last 4 years in Australia in internal medicine. I will be relocating temporarily with my partner to the US (most likely New York City) in the next year. I understand that to work in a clinical setting I will need to at least do the USMLE exams and be licensed by the appropriate state medical board. My question is whether there are what we call in Australia 'locum' jobs available? In other words, jobs for junior doctors that aren't part of a residency program. I would be willing to work in most areas of medicine and in areas of need.

thanks very much for your help

Martin
beaver1981

Re: Work in US for Australian IMG

Postby anatolyk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:46 pm

In order to work in a capacity of a doctor, you have to be licensed. Most common path of getting a licnese is through a residency. It is also possible through fellowship or if you are sponsored by a hospital to become a faculty. This type of license is restricted to a particular institution and is not common.
anatolyk

Return to USCE Observerships/Externships/Research US Clinical Experience