Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

uk research experience/MD versus us prelim surgery.

Observership, Externship, Research opportunities. United States Clinical Experience.

uk research experience/MD versus us prelim surgery.

Postby surgeon_to_be » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:41 pm

Hi everyone
do you think a formal MD degree after a 2 yr research period in a university hospital in the uk and then trying categorial surgey is better than applying for prelim surgery directly with no research/MD. I have high usmle scores,some uk experience and of course I am IMG. I will loose 2 yrs and "get older" but I do not mind that if I am going to get some peace of mind of being "highly competitive" candidate and escape the nightmare of rejection! thanx
surgeon_to_be

Research

Postby anatolyk » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:26 am

I do not think it's worth 2 years as your chances will not get improved that much.
anatolyk

MD/research

Postby surgeon_to_be2 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:52 pm

ok, so you are saying that uk research experience ( and puplications ) and LOR from professors/head of departments are not worth 2 years since they are not going to increase my chances??? what to do to increase my chances? observships are useless, you do not get hands on experience and you LOR from someone you did not work with ( just observed) are not that much suppotive, plz correct me if i am mistaken.
thank you. :D
surgeon_to_be2

What to do to increase your chances

Postby anatolyk » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:51 pm

LOR from someone who is practicing in the US, even if he/she knows you from practicing abroad (your classmates, professors, etc. who are practicing in the U.S.)

Yes, an observership with a good LOR will also help.

Im sorry that it sounds odd, but this is the way things are and I personally do not agree with that. But if you ask any PD what he/she cares more about, the answer will be US LORs and US experience.
anatolyk

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to USCE Observerships/Externships/Research US Clinical Experience