Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

USCE Observership and Visa related problem

Observership, Externship, Research opportunities. United States Clinical Experience.

USCE Observership and Visa related problem

Postby MK2012 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:07 am

Hi there!

I was just wondering as to how one applies to a USCE and how accepting are they to IMGs like us for their 'observerships.' Also, I would like to ask what type of visa is needed to do a USCE or an observership?

Thank you for your time!
MK2012

Re: USCE Observership and Visa related problem

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:52 am

A formal in-patient externship is more difficult to get than actual residency. However, you can easily get outpatient externship in a private practice by simply calling the practices. Take your insurance provider directory or go to http://www.webmd.com and search for primary care doctors in your area. You can make a good guess as to the origin of a doctor by his/her name. Doctors originating from the same country as you are most likely IMGs as well and know exactly what kind of a situation you are in. 90% of them will be sympathetic; 10% will agree to have you as an extern.

Also look through the forum posts in this topics. Some of them offer clinical experience options.
Julia IMG Residency

Postby MK2012 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:27 am

Thank you again for your reply!

But do you think I can do an USCE/observership with a tourist visa? Will I be violating any laws or something?
I do have an Aunt who is practicing in a private practice in one of the states but her practice is not what I want to apply into when I go for the match. But I guess any clinical experience can be a good thing!
MK2012

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:08 am

All visa questions should be discussed with the immigration attorney. But usually it depends on institution's policies (rules in private practice, clinic, hospital etc).
U.S. clinical experience is important part of your residency application. No doubts observership in U.S. private practice is better than no U.S. C.E.
Julia IMG Residency

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to USCE Observerships/Externships/Research US Clinical Experience