Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors: - Customized Program Requirements - IMG Match and Scramble Services


Observership, Externship, Research opportunities. United States Clinical Experience.


Postby drshruthi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:26 pm

I am a IMG, recently completed MD radiology residency from India. I am in US on a dependent visa. I wish to pursue observership /research in the US. I have not attempted any of the USMLE steps yet.
Meanwhile, I wish to get involved as an observer/ research assistant. Is this possible? If yes, please let me know how I should proceed.

Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:05 pm


Postby Julia IMG Residency » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:26 pm

A formal in-patient externship/observership sometimes is more difficult to get than actual residency. However, you can easily get outpatient externship in a private practice by simply calling the practices. You can go to and search for primary care doctors in the area where you live or plan to live. You can make a good guess about the origin of a doctor by his/her name. Doctors originating from the same country as you are most likely IMGs as well and know exactly what kind of a situation you’re in. 90% of them will be sympathetic. 10% will agree to have you as an extern.
Julia IMG Residency
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 10:58 am

Return to USCE Observerships/Externships/Research US Clinical Experience

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests