Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Can u give me your opinion

This topic is dedicated to sharing personal experiences about unsuccessful residency, non renewed contracts, evil PDs and upper levels, etc. Posting your story you help others not to make the same mistake. This topic is anonymous, your identity is protected.

Can u give me your opinion

Postby rothspots » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:12 pm

Hello everyone,

This is my first time in this forum, and I am glad, this exists. I am an OLD IMG since 1990 and 46 y/o. I worked in my native country for five years as a MD and moved to USA. I tried USMLE step 1 and 2 twice each and failed. :( Since I came to USA,I have worked in several doctors offices, and now, I am doing Biology degree in a local University which I will complete in August 2009, I work as a volunteer physician under a licensed doctor's supervision in a free clinic for undeserved population, as well as, in private internal medicine practice, and I also became a citizen. I recently took the second attempt of USMLE step 1, and, as I said, I failed. My question is, what should I do next? I do not want to quit medicine!! Should I retake the steps? Should I prepare for MCAT and apply to medical school? Is there any program for people like me? I refuse to think, I am the only case, and I also have a real hard time thinking in quitting or accepting the idea of a PA or nurse program. Can someone out there send me his/her feedback.

Thank you!
rothspots
rothspots

Re: Can u give me your opinion

Postby anatolyk » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:43 pm

The best route for you would be to:
1. Make sure you pass the steps with good scores, no more attempts
2. Network, Network, Network. Whenever you meet new dosc, network. They may know somebody who knows somebody, etc. This will help you tremendously.
anatolyk

Postby dragonfly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Anatolyk,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I have been networking already, but I sure will do much more!!

Thank you again :)

Take care

Rothspots

PS; By the way, any info on which would be the best way to study for the boards?? I did Kaplan, and Princeton Review, but ... I feel somewhat isolated without too many people to discuss things
dragonfly

Postby anatolyk » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:33 pm

You can meet USMLE comrades at local university library. They are easily recognizeable ad usually kind to each other.
anatolyk

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Share your "bad" story