Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Discrimination in family medicne residency

This topic is dedicated to sharing personal experiences about unsuccessful residency, non renewed contracts, evil PDs and upper levels, etc. Posting your story you help others not to make the same mistake. This topic is anonymous, your identity is protected.

Discrimination in family medicne residency

Postby hoda » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:53 pm

I want to share my experience about my residency program with FMGs who are trying to get in a residency in US, first of all you should watch if that residency is FMG friendly or not, it means that at least they should fill out above 30 % of their spots with FMGs each year, my residency which is a family medicine residency and is not a FMG friendly residency and I think they have some obligation to fill out their empty spots with FMGs bcz US graduates do not like to go to the location of that residency , actually during all 3 yrs I feel they are trying to turn down FMGs in the program by picking on their languages & accents, even one of the attendings was pushing the FMGs to go to English classes, most of the time chief residents are selected in advance by PD & faculty ,
of course they are US graduates even with minimom knowledge and skills , some times lazy but PD & faculty think they are protecting the pragram rather than FMGs. None of US graduates are punished even they are lazy, slow and rude but every year one of FMGs or african american residents is put
in repeat rotations & punishment. The program never appraise an FMG even with good skills and knowledge even they try to mask it but for US
graduates it is opposite. overal I do not recommend this program to FMGs although they already started to cut back the number of FMGs by affiliation to osteopathic program so instead of picking FMGs with accents & no cultural sensitivity!!!! they pick osteopatic interns who turn out to be chief residents &
highly skilled residents BCZ they are US born!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Do not apply to Riverside Family Meidicne Program with VCU).
hoda

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Share your "bad" story