Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

resigned from residency

This topic is dedicated to sharing personal experiences about unsuccessful residency, non renewed contracts, evil PDs and upper levels, etc. Posting your story you help others not to make the same mistake. This topic is anonymous, your identity is protected.

resigned from residency

Postby residency » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:21 pm

:( I joined in residency in 2009. I am an fmg ,completely unaware of this system. I didn't even know that i am going to be evaluated every month ,i came to know in the middle of the month when my PD called me and warned me because he got complaints about me from ER attendings,i got bad evals in the first month and i failed. My next rotation is CCU where i thought i am doing good, but suddenly in the middle of the month i am oncall ,i was not able to handle too many patients ,then i was kept on probation and transferred me to ward. Unfortunately ,though i am doing good, attending was so strict and she gave me bad eval but senior resident gave me very good evaluation.So PD called me and advised me to resign otherwise he is going to dismiss me. So i opted to resign. I am in depression now and i cannot find any solution for this. I am very unlucky . I am hopeless and greatly disappointed for what has happened . I am planning to apply for 2011. I am very much worried about my previous failure. I am not brave enough to include my failure in my CV /PS .
Anyone please advice what should i do to get back in to residency again .Thank you
residency

Re: resigned from residency

Postby anatolyk » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately your story isn't unique.

You MUST include this experience in your future application. If you don't it will become known and then you will have troubles getting into any residency, ever. Part of the funds come from Medicare and after a couple of payment cycles the new program will find that you have been at another residency before. This would become an issue of professionalism (lying), which is considered very serious.

At this point, try to:
1. Identify alld eficiencies pointed out by PD and attendings
3. Come up with a plan of addressing these dficiencies
2. Make old PD your ally, not an enemy. You will need his help many times in the years to come, from finding a new residency to applying for medical license or hospital privileges. Discuss your plan with the PD
3. Make the plan actionable, so later on you can add steps you have taken to address shortcomings to your CV. Your stroy should sound like Started residency, had problems du to a, b,c, resigned, developed plan, identified and addressed problems, now ready to start over with all problems resolved.
4. Make sure your old PD knows this. Any programs that considers you will talk to him, so again, you need his support

Good luck!
anatolyk

Postby residency » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 am

Thank you so much for quick reply.I really appreciate you. Can i ask my PD and some of my attendings to give me a recommendation letter.
residency

Postby anatolyk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:18 am

You have to get some LORs from your old program. It would work the best if you ask your PD a letter after you have discussed and started implementing your plan, so that he can mentioned "we discussed a plan of addressing the issues..." and "he is soing X, Y, and Z, which will allow to overcome the deficiencies". This will make the letter much stronger.
anatolyk

Postby rawpains » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:29 am

HEY, NOT ALL IS LOST...

I VOLUNTEERLY RESIGNED FROM MY RESIDENCY...BECAUSE OF PERSONAL REASONS, BUT WROTE IN MY LETTER I WANTED TO DO ANOTHER SPECIALTY.

STEPS I TOOK:

IN THE FOLLOWING YEAR I WENT TO PRESTIGIOUS UNIVERSITY...VOLUNTEER OF COURSE
THEN DID RESEARCH/PUBLICATIONS/ CONFERENCES....KEPT UP WITH MY CME. THIS WAS TO TELL THEM I AM ACTIVELY KEEPING UP WITH MY EDUCATION. BUT I AM STILL TRYING TO GET SOME OTHER PROJECT LINED UP; AS IN INTERVIEWS THEY WANT TO KNOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW!!
I GOT A LOR FROM THE HOSPITAL I DID RESEARCH AT, THEN I ASKED EVERY ATTENDING I WORKED FOR A LOR.

THEN I SAID TO MYSELF I AM READY TO COME BACK TO MY RESIDENCY I APPLIED FOR POSITIONS IN A NO. OF RESIDENCIES AS I AM AT A DISADVANTAGE.
BUT WHAT HAPPENED NEXT WAS A SHOCK;
----THE HOSPITALS WOULD BE IMPRESSED WITH MY CV, I THINK CALLED ONE MENTOR. ONE CALLED ME AT HOME.

IN A WAY I WAS LUCKY TO HAVE SUPPORTIVE ATTENDINGS WHO WERE WILLING TO WRITE LORS, BUT I FEEL MY PD WASN'T.

THE LACK OF OUT OF MATCH RESIDENCIES WAS A PROBLEM.....

BUT MY QUESTION WAS WHAT WAS MY PD SAYING....THEN I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT; DESPITE WORKING HARD BUT BECAUSE MY SADDNESS DURING MY TIME THERE I HAD UPSET HIM---

HE BROUGHT UP ISSUES ABOUT ME AND RECRUITING PD'S WOULD BELIEVE HIM OVER ME ESPECIALLY WHEN I RESIGNED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE YEAR AND FAILED STEP 1 ON 1ST ATTEMPT.

YOU NEED TO GET ANOTHER LOR WORK FROM ANOTHER HOSPITAL, IMPRESS, WORK HARD THEN MEET ANOTHER RESEARCH GROUP. I ACTUALLY CONSIDERED A PHD BUT I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS AN OPTION FOR YOU. YOU NEED TO DETACH FROM YOUR PRIOR RESIDENCY. ALSO MEET THE RESIDENCIES YOU APPLY TO TALK TO THE PD....
YOUR BEST BET IS TO APPLY TO THE HOSPITAL YOU DO RESEARCH ETC WORK FOR...YOU HAVE TO GAIN THE PD'S OF THE PROGRAMS YOU APPLY TO TRUST BACK.

DESPITE MY WORK I COULDN'T GET A RESIDENCY ....
I DID 1 YEAR OF FULL RESEARCH, AND I FEEL I AM GOING TO HAVE TO DO MORE AND NOW BE FRANK ABOUT WHY I LEFT.

MY RESIGNATION WAS ASSOCIATED WITH AN UNFORTUNATE CIRCUMSTANCE BUT NOW DESPITE THAT I HAVE TO WORK TWICE AS HARD ALMOST IRONIC I AM FACING DIFFICULTIES AS THE RECRUITING PD'S WON'T GIVE ME A CHANCE TO EXPLAIN THEIR CONCERNS.

SO IT WILL BE HARD WORK...IF YOU LOVE MEDICINE THEN YOU WILL PUSH FORWARD DESPITE HOW MUCH PAIN AND THE TEARS, BUT HAVE BACKUPS. APPLY TO DIFFERENT SPECIALTIES DO RESEARCH DONT UNDERESTIMATE AN ACADEMIC PROWESS IT SHOWS YOUR LOVE TO YOUR FIELD. TALK AND DRIVE TO HOSPITALS, EMAIL PDS.

BUT THIS WONT GAURANTEE ANYTHING--------IT MAY BE THE END OR A VERY LONG JOURNEY IT IS YOUR CHOICE.

I LEARNT HUMILITY FROM THIS JOURNEY;[quote="residency"]HEY, NOT ALL IS LOST...
rawpains

Postby residency » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:42 am

Thank you so much for your advise. Which speciality did you go to after resignation from residency?
residency

Postby october » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:17 am

Beware aware of personality disputes. There are a lot of big egos in medicine and insecure people with big egos. Over the years I have seen such attendings, residents lash out at IMG's, whether they be USIMG or Immigrant IMG.

People have been screwed even if they were good.

C r a p/mediocre AMG's tend to be shielded by programs because the quality of a given program is related to the % of AMG's in it. When I was a PGY1 IM I was teamed up with crappy AMG's that would not help or teach me, run away scared from managing acute patients. I asked the chief resident why they were doing this to me he replied " Because you can function on your own we give you those senior residents and I should take it as a compliment" Anyway I saw all my patients and was finished with notes and orders earlier than the other PGY1's so one of the attendings thought I was screwing up. He summoned me to the patient floor, randomly puuled my patients charts, and quizzed me of their dx, meds, tests, and progress and plan.

I knew all of my patients COLD, answered all his questions precisely. He wasn't happy that I was so knowledgeable and on top of patients. He said, "OK" then left. He was an AMG, nephrologist, short and rather feminine although not gay. My Gay friends are usually more secure humble. Napoleon Complex is the term. He was my enemy for most of that year. Non renewal of contract could not be based on performance, they said they had an AMG applicant for a PG2 spot. I could have taken legal action but my life at that program would have been miserable, so I found another program and started PG2 spot.

I believe medical boards also favor AMG's as it licensure is all but certain for any AMG and disciplinary action probably less common because AMG's are perceived as golden

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/19 ... index.html Complaints for decades yet this Thomas Jefferson Medical College graduate went on practicing, not even investigated until enough political pressure mounted.
october

Postby ohio » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:20 pm

It's all very informative.
ohio

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Share your "bad" story