Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

not disclosing an old res. resignation

This topic is dedicated to sharing personal experiences about unsuccessful residency, non renewed contracts, evil PDs and upper levels, etc. Posting your story you help others not to make the same mistake. This topic is anonymous, your identity is protected.

not disclosing an old res. resignation

Postby drwayne99 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:15 am

anatolyk,
It sounds like you know what you are talking about, re: the program finding out you were in one previously and did not disclose...... is your Medicare "code" different, or do they get some sort of hx of payments made in your name?
The reason I ask: Matched in 2003 for Anesthesia, hated it, resigned after 8 months. went back to work. decided to try again last year, got 6 interviews, and was GRILLED by every PD about why i quit, etc, etc. did not match. Left it off my app this year, and as you know, I cant add it back in now. Advice? drwayne99 -it HAS been 7 years......
drwayne99

Re: not disclosing an old res. resignation

Postby anatolyk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:05 pm

1. New program finds that you were previously at another one from Medicare payment, which is going to state that your training has already been paid for X months and there are Y reimbursable months remaining. I cannot say for sure how does Medicare find out, my guess would be by your SSN.

2. Prepare to be grilled. There isn't anything wrong with this and youy should us it to your advantage. How many interviewees know in advance what they are going to be asked about? So, you can really make it play for you. Make sure you stay positive, do not badmouth your old program, even if it really was a terrible place, demonstrate that you identified the reason for having problem(s) there and addressed them; demonstrate that you are more mature than any other applicant because of this experience and you realize you have to give 200% at the new place. Make it your day.

Another thing to remember is that you got to work with your old PD to make sure:
a. Your story natches his
b. He is not killing your chances by telling programs you are worthless. Involve him. Ask how can you improve, follow his advice, so he feels good about helping you.
anatolyk

Postby drwayne99 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:56 pm

anatolyk,
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like this would not occur until after payments by Medicare to my new Program began. Doyou think that there is any 7 yr, staute of limitations? Also, I am changing from Anesthrsia to Primary Care. Does this mean that it is possible that 8 months of my Intern yr would go unpaid? I just spent $4800 on 223 Programs, and am now terrified of matching, rhen getting kicked out. I have not talked to my old PD in 7 yrs, and I doubt she have anything nice to say....thanks for your help. drwayne
drwayne99

Postby anatolyk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:45 pm

I don't know about 7 yr limit.

Medicare payments are cross-specialty, so even if you change it, a program would still find out. I have seen people dismissed from residency because of this.

Unfortunately I am not aware of workaround and trying to get support from your old PD is essential.
anatolyk

Return to Share your "bad" story