Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

unprofessional residency program

This topic is dedicated to sharing personal experiences about unsuccessful residency, non renewed contracts, evil PDs and upper levels, etc. Posting your story you help others not to make the same mistake. This topic is anonymous, your identity is protected.

unprofessional residency program

Postby uu » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am an IMG and want to share my story about one program in seattle(Group Health) They sent me an invitation for the interview two months back. Then I recieved many other mails about my interview confirmation. I also received a formal invitation from the PD and also the details of the program. Now when just one week is left for the interview and when I have made all the resevations for the flight and hotel,I get an e-mail from the PD saying that I am unlikely to be "competent" for the program. What does that mean? What went wrong? I talked to them and came to know they are inviting someone else. Is this right? Isn't it very unprofessional? Is it discrimination?
uu

to uu

Postby m&m » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:30 pm

That was very unprofessional, but not discrimination. You have to fight back, that's the key--how you present yourself to someone. You dont have to be a gentleman. ther are no rules in life and especially concerning how to get ahead. Take evry obstacle as a challenge to grow into the new role. Life is a play--have fun. Tell the PD you made your plans, reservations and you have every right as much as the next dick tom and harry to have a fair chance at a spot. Tell him and bragg about your competencies. And dont take no for an answer.
m&m

Postby guest » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:21 am

m&m,
You are a [censored], you also sound like a [censored] who will step on anyone to get yourself ahead. To whomever asked about how unprofessional that program is:
Just transfer the ticket to another location and cancel your reservations, they will not hire you so cut your losses and get back whatever you can. You probably don't want to work in a place like that anyhow. Good luck and look somewhere in NYC they will hire almost anyone who will show up for anything!
Dude

Re: unprofessional residency program

Postby october » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:40 am

I am a USIMG. Born and raised in USA but med school abroad. During my 3rd year of IM residency I remember an interview for anesthesiology. I had to travel, lose time, spend money, arrange coverage, payback time for coverage.

I answered all the interview medical questions accurately/correctly, was already experienced in ICU, CCU management, incubation. Attending s that interviewed me basically offered me the spot, but PD denied my acceptance; reason they gave me "We want to fill with an AMG" Actually could be any warm body with pulse and bp, as long as the diploma says USA.

I had a good friend from India that was a resident in another program. He used to say he felt sorry for us because we are born in america, our family has paid taxes for generations and yet we are treated so badly, like second class citizens. On the other hand he'd say that he came to america knowing it was a risk, a chance.
october

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Share your "bad" story