Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

discrimination.

This topic is dedicated to sharing personal experiences about unsuccessful residency, non renewed contracts, evil PDs and upper levels, etc. Posting your story you help others not to make the same mistake. This topic is anonymous, your identity is protected.

Postby tulip_usmle » Tue May 23, 2006 2:48 pm

i am sad to read this..my heart weeps...u r a strong woman..dont worry ..god is watching...he will help you..hav the faith..please could you mail me the program which does this...thnx... tulip_usmle@yahoo.com
tulip_usmle

reply to bad story

Postby sv007 » Sun May 28, 2006 9:24 pm

Hi,

I was reading about the mother of two who had a bad experience with the PD- I would say also, get everything in writing, and get a written document from the two Physicians who said ou were adequate, and sue the hospital and the PD. He probably thinks that as you are from abroad you will not take action. No one from the US would stand such treatment, and as a human being you should not either. The discrimination would be on the grounds that you are a mother and an international student. Do not mention that you are still learning,etc. Just be confident and say you believe you are more than adequate, else they wouldn't hire you, and show the letters from the two Doctors who said you are as well. Again, I am also a mother, and you SHOULD NOT stand suuch treatment.

Good luck!
sv007

Please send me an email with the name of this program...

Postby rossMD2008 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:27 pm

We all need to know the name of this program to stay away from it. I am so sorry you have dealt with this. It is a tragedy and goes to show people in this country are very short sighted and ignorant.
Please email the name of the program to njemt369@hotmail.com
Thanks and best wishes
rossMD2008

Discrimination

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:26 am

Consider contacting the "Department of Fair Employment and Housing" and file a complaint. In this country, the only way to prevent that program from doing it again (and it will) is to shake them with a reminder that what they did was out of line and wrong. It sounds like they need to be reminded about equal rights, and a friendly reminder from the DFEH will be a nice reminder. Good luck.

god bless u

Postby guest7182 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:05 am

god bless you and your family,after reading unknown's story i got realy shocked,and felt bad.please be strong,and remember the GOD.
I would be grateful if you could send me the name and location of that program,my email is paradise7182@yahoo.com
thanks
guest7182

Re: god bless u

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:55 pm

felt really bad after reading ur post.........can imagine wht u must have gone thriugh.i am an img can u pls mail me the programe and the the college name ........can,t even imagine going thr somthing like that
my mail id denis.clarence@gmail.com

Postby jkouser@gmail.com » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:46 am

That was something i didnt expect!could u please mail me which hospital this is i will not apply here.my mail address is jkouser@gmail.com
jkouser@gmail.com

Postby katy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:21 pm

could you also please tell me the name of the institute,,,,i feel really bad for what happened. My email is katkhan00@yahoo.com
katy

I am applying

Postby Hopeful » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:29 pm

I am shocked by your story....my GOD you are so brave!! Can you please email the program's name to this email address:

chakrabartis@yahoo.com
Hopeful

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:11 pm

I see everyone left their email address..............has anyone gotten a reply as to the name of the program/location? if so, could you pls post it here so everyone can see w/o waiting for email.....

OP, I hope you found a better program with a brighter future :)

Cheers,

discrimination

Postby dr. star » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:07 pm

please send me an email to carlosalexis17@hotmail.com with the name of the program so i dont apply there.
dr. star

you are strong!!!

Postby ssameh » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:51 am

A bullet that doesn't kill you makes you stronger!! You are very strong and brave to have went through all this!!!
Please email me the program and state.
ssameh@yahoo.com
ssameh

How to adjust yourself in the residency

Postby gli3 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:01 am

I read about your horrible story. I understand you hurt badly.

I am an IMG, and I finished training two years ago, I am an attending anesthesiologist, partner, private practice, and living in my dream house with my dream life, in the beautiful chicago suburb. Years ago, when this forum started, I got so much benefit from it, and of course from attending IMGs, too. So I decide to let you know what I think you should handle this situation, especially to fresh IMG junior resident. My intention is to help, and pay back the help I got from this forum years ago.

The first most important thing in the beginning of a residency is, YOUR PERSONALITY. It is NOT your medical skill or knowledge. NOBODY EXPECT YOU TO KNOW ANYTHING, even if you are AMG. It is how to interact with nurses, senior residents, and patients that really counts. every new resident is pretty much the same, under the same microscope. YOu do not want to hyper-sensitize the people, and you have to lay low and observe the culture in the new place. As a IMG, you are more under the microscope than AMG, so you have to know how to avoid people pay attention to you. In your case, if you communicate with your senior resident early and let him/her know why you did not return the page, it probably will be solved. THE KEY THING IS, MAKE A BIG ISSUE SMALL, and MAKE A SMALL ISSUE DISAPPEAR.

Unfortunately, very few people know this and most people have to learn this in a hard way. In your case, the PD will NEVER fire you if only your senior complaint in front of him alone, THERE MUST BE COUPLE OF OTHER PEOPLE COMPLAINT ABOUT YOU AND TOGETHER, THESE INFORMATION WILL LEAD PD FIRE YOU.

First impression is crucially important. Rumors and gossips can have a snowballing effect. Even if people never worked with you before and heard something negative about you, they can spread it to others. This can happen even in the most hospitable Texas, least to say in some harsh areas, like new york. I do not know where your training are, but this is pretty much across the States.

You have to know how to communicate. I am a chinese, and my English sucks, with freaking heavy accent. I am working in a very white-environment. I would attribute my success to good communicate with everyone. Bad things happen to me, too. You know what, once they like you, they will blame THE PATIENTS. e.g., Maybe I have to re-intubate someone is because he is a long term smoker and not because my poor judgement!!! Can you believe that!!!!!

Believe me, White people are generally very nice, very civilized, very friendly and very helpful. It is much better to work in such an environment. I also worked in an african-american environment before and I realize that it is usually in the latter place that people show more jealous and envious about me, a heavy-accented IMG's success, because they are usually in a lower social-economical class and they think I grabbed their rice bowl.
gli3

Postby doctorva » Wed May 14, 2008 3:20 am

Please mail me the program name as my son in trying to get residency. My email ID is jaychitra@hotmail.com
doctorva

Re: discrimination.

Postby m_alshamikh » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:54 am

OMG...
I believe that we all suffer in a way or another...
Thanks God, the PD in our hospital was very good to us... but, he resigned ( or forced to do ).. now and after 3 and a half years with our beloved PD, we got a new one.. who doesn't understand us or realize our needs, particularly as females... :(
It seems that you are a very determined and strong woman.. that's great and you will get through this and will find yourself a PD some day :) .. keep up the spirits...
m_alshamikh

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service
Previous

Return to Share your "bad" story