Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

How important is the year of graduation?

Residency Match, ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP.
Applications, interviews, residency programs, match strategies and post match scramble.

How important is the year of graduation?

Postby ms1905 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:03 am

Hi,
I am a UK medical school graduate (class of 2010) and am currently pursuing my foundation year 2 (equivalent to second year of "internship") here in the UK. I have just started the process of studying for USMLE exams, with the hope of entering the residency match in September 2013. My interest is Pediatrics, and I have previously done an observership in a US hospital and also a separate research stint resulting in a publication. From what I understand, residency programs are giving preference to new graduates - what defines 'new'? Although my graduation certificate states my year of graduation as 2010, this excludes the mandatory two-year internship we have to do here in the UK post-graduation before starting on a speciality (i.e. residency) program...I wondered if this would be taken into account? I guess I just want to know what weightage they put on graduation year. Sorry if this question has already previous been addressed, and thanks a lot for your help!
ms1905

Re: How important is the year of graduation?

Postby anatolyk » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:28 am

The two major graduation cut off years are 3 and 5. I am not sure if you can use internship graduation date. I doubt, but please do check with ERAS for guidance.
anatolyk

Postby ms1905 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks for your reply. Could you elaborate what you mean by graduation cut off years - as in programs have strict criteria that applicants should have graduated within the last 3 or 5 years?
ms1905

Postby anatolyk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:08 am

Wxactly. Some programs only review applicants who graduated less than 3 years ago and some set the cut off to 5. I wouldn't worry about these programs as they typically don't take IMGs anyway.
anatolyk

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Residency Match: ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP