Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

IM with low board scores, to anatolyk

Residency Match, ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP.
Applications, interviews, residency programs, match strategies and post match scramble.

IM with low board scores, to anatolyk

Postby nycroatia » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:20 am

Hi guys,
Looking for opinons on my profile:

US citizen IMG, graduated summer 2012 in Europe, won't need visa
Step 1-215
Step 2- 213
Step 2 CS- Results in Oct 2012
2 months of USCE in top cancer hospital in NY - 2 LOR's
Several months of observerships in Gastro + Cards in NY - 1 LOR
1 LOR from IM Departmental head in Europe
1 year volunteer on Ambulance before med school in America
No research

1. With this profile, is there a chance of landing interviews in IM? community hospitals or lower tier Uni programs.

2. Also is it better to apply in Sept. without the CS or in Oct with CS?

Thank you
nycroatia

Re: IM with low board scores, to anatolyk

Postby anatolyk » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:27 am

Is my understandinng that you grew up in the US and went to school abroad correct? If so, this is a big advantage. ANother important thing is that you just graduated.

On a negative side, keep in mind that primary care is becoming more popular due to Obama reform.

In order to utilize your chances, make sure you budget enough to cover good number of programs where you stand a good chance, as well as some that you don't.
anatolyk

Postby nycroatia » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:35 am

Anatolyk, thanks for the reply,

Ya I was born in New Jersey. I have high school and an undergrad Biology degree in New Jersey as well. I went abroad only for med school. I plan to apply to at least 100 programs.

Just do you think it's better to apply on Sept. 15 without CS scores or to apply in October with CS scores in hand.

Or 3rd option, wait till next year and apply for 2014 Match with full profile early(although i don't really want to do that)
nycroatia

Postby anatolyk » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:53 am

There is no exact formula, but I suggest applying to most programs without CS . This will provide you a double exposure - first time when you applied and second time when you get the result and contact the programs with an update.

To be absoltely safe, you can pick a few programs to which you apply only after getting the result.
anatolyk

Postby nycroatia » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks again for your reply,

The double exposure idea is great. I've asked others and they have countering views. They say that if an IMG profile is missing CS, it might just get weeded out immediately, especially if Step 1 and CK aren't amazing.

About applying to some places where I'm unlikely to be accepted, do you think it's worthwhile applying to IM in Uni programs on the East Coast? Or is it just a waste of money with my scores?
nycroatia

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Residency Match: ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP