Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Back in the game!

Test taking strategies, test preparation materials and centers

Back in the game!

Postby ubiquitous1987 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:29 am

Hello all! I am an old member, and I last logged in in 2011 when I was still in my internship. I have since joined MD Psychiatry in India, and will be finishing in April next year. I am glad to say that I have gained back an interest in the USMLE! I can't wait to buy the 2015 FA! I am a Psychiatry residency applicant. I have a few queries:

1. Does my MD improve my CV (I have research, teaching, community service experience along with the clinical experience during MD)

2. Do I still need to do observerships in America to increase my chances of scoring a Psych residency?

3. Is a 220+ score enough for Psych residency?
ubiquitous1987

Re: Back in the game!

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:28 pm

Congratulations on getting your MD and Psychiatry residency in your country.

1. Your MD Degree along with this experience that you have mentioned will definitely improve your CV and increase your chances for getting PSY residency here in the US. I suggest emphasizing your experience in your ERAS application while working on it.

2. Getting Externship (hands-on clinical experience) or at least Observership in the US will substantially increase your chances as it will demonstrate your fresh US clinical experience, very valuable for PDs.

3. 220+ is considered to be a good score, you will qualify for most Psychiatry programs with it. Getting good scores at your Step 1 and Step 2 CK exams will increase your chances as well.
Julia IMG Residency

Re: Back in the game!

Postby ubiquitous1987 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:03 am

Thanks Julia! Any more inputs are most welcome!
ubiquitous1987

Return to USMLE Step 1 and Step 2