Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Passed Step 3 88/212 - Experience and Advice

Step 3 test taking strategies, test preparation materials and centers

Postby NYimg » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:28 pm

My USMLE journey is finally over. I got my result with 88/212. :D I am an IMG with no clinical experience in USA but just started IM residency this month in NY. So happy, I got this done on my first attempt. Friends, don't underestimate this exam - I thought it was much harder than step 1 or step 2. :shock:

I used Crush Step 3, First Aid for Step 3 and Kaplan Step2 CK notes for studying. I also signed up for USMLEworld MCQs and USMLEsteps123 CCS cases. I studied about two months and scored 68% on usmleworld mcqs and scored about 85% on usmlesteps123 CCS cases.

The MCQs on the exam were very confusing and not easy. :?: Many questions that I could only narrow down to two choices and many questions that I thought more than one choice was correct. I did not think I did too well on the MCQs. The CCS cases were much better. All cases came from First Aid for step 3 and usmlesteps123 CCS cases.

Folks, this exam can be done with lots of studying and patience. You don't need clinical experience in US but I'm sure it probably helps. Good luck to everyone.
NYimg

Postby aishwarya » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:42 pm

congrats and thank u sooooo much for sharing ur study methods..which state licensing authority did u register under?
aishwarya

Conn

Postby NYimg » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:17 pm

I registered for the exam in connecticut.
NYimg

Postby aishwarya » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:06 am

why connecticut?is it easy to pass?
is it the only place where we can apply before starting residency?
aishwarya

Postby carmenfm77 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:20 am

Thank you for sharing. Is that means that you can apply for one state licensure and work as a resident in other state? Does anybody know about this issue?
carmenfm77

Postby anatolyk » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:19 pm

You don't have to apply to the state license for taking Step 3. You just indicate that you are going to apply for a license in this state some time.
anatolyk

Postby carmenfm77 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:05 pm

Thank you anatolyk. Now I understand that you are not place bound in the residency depending upon the state you decide to give step 3. I've found out that for 2006 the enrolment for step 3 ends in September and I'm not eligible cos I don't have the step 2 CS yet...so I will just try to go for J visa this match..There must be some thing possible not to return to your country after the contract. I suppose that that's why attorneys are for. Thanks again, anatolyk.
carmenfm77

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to USMLE Step 3