Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Prelim vs. Categorical in General Surgery

Program scoop. IMG friendly programs/hospitals

Prelim vs. Categorical in General Surgery

Postby Julia12 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi, Anatolyk!

I am new to the forum and to the residency application process. Can you or someone explain to me the difference between preliminary vs. categorical and also designated/ non-designated positions in general surgery? My understanding is that preliminary positions are just for a year or two each and then one has to specialize in urology, ortho, or vascular surgery. What if I want to stay on in General? Would I have to transfer elsewhere? Would I have to match again? Please advise. Many thanks in advance.

julia
Julia12

Postby anatolyk » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:24 pm

Categorical - regular positions that offer 5 years of training.

Preliminary - some advanced specialties like Anesthesiology, Radiology, etc. require one year of training in a preliminary position as a prerequizite. So, Preliminary positions are just for this purpose.

Designated Preliminary - designated for applicants that match into advanced specialty. As I said above only some advanced programs require applicants to find a prelim position somewhere else. Others have designated spots at the same hospoital, so if one matches to advanced position, he/she automatically gets a designated preliminary position too.
anatolyk

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Programs. IMG Friendly Hospitals