Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors: - Customized Program Requirements - IMG Match and Scramble Services

How to obtain a full state license?

Program scoop. IMG friendly programs/hospitals

How to obtain a full state license?

Postby thepumpkin » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:37 am

I am an Australian I have a postgrduate degree in family medicine FRACGP.
The board of family practice in the USA,, will endorse this if I obtain a full state license in any state....
I completed my USMLE Step 1. 2 and 3 some years ago and have a Green Card so immigraton wise I would not have a problem.
Some years ago I got close to being accepted for a Geriatric fellowship at a major teaching hospital but not having any US experience/state license was an issue........
Ideally I would like to work in Califonia but am flexible to any of the western or northeastern states.......or anywhere if it sounded good....
I would appreciate any advice on where to look for the type of job I could take get US experience so I can get a state license ......I don't really want to go through residency again as I have been working as a family physician for quite a few years..
I would appreciate any advice or suggestions........
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:25 am

Postby anatolyk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:36 am

Have you completed postgraduate training in an ACGME approved residency program?
If not, you CANNOT get permanent license in any state.

You may get in-traning license for a fellowship if you get accepted. Typically people get fellowships after completing a residency, but there are exceptions.

There also are ases of obtaining faculty license without residency. These are extremelly rare.
Posts: 2147
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:17 pm

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Programs. IMG Friendly Hospitals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests