Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Are my qualifications recognised?? Please help!

Program scoop. IMG friendly programs/hospitals

Are my qualifications recognised?? Please help!

Postby khumph82 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:39 am

Hello,
Not sure if this is in the right place! I have ECFMG certification and have completed USMLE steps 1 + 2 with excellent scores. I have also completed training in Emergency Medicine (eg. completed the residency program, and I am the equivalent of an board certified attending, and Fellow of the Australasian College of Emergency Medicine) in Australia - this is a comprehensive, 7 year training program.
My husband is from the US and we are keen to move back there to be close to family, but I do not want to start my training all over again.
Can anyone tell me if my Emergency Medicine qualifications are recognised in the US? If not how many years of extra training would I have to do?
Thank you.
khumph82

Re: Are my qualifications recognised?? Please help!

Postby anatolyk » Thu May 19, 2011 10:37 am

In order to get state license you will need from one to three years of residency. Most states require three.

You may be able to convince EM board to get credit for your Austrian experience and training instead of remaining yea(s). But I doubt you will bee able to overcome state medical board requirements (above).

One option that you have is a fellowship/faculty path instead of residency. This way you can get institutional license andd eventually count your institutional experience towards state requirements for permanent licensing.

Goood luck!
anatolyk

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Programs. IMG Friendly Hospitals