Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Should I bother at all...

Program scoop. IMG friendly programs/hospitals

Should I bother at all...

Postby Liksy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Hello, I am 1998 IMG, licensed to practise in EU. I spent 1 year of internship and 1 year of practice back home bfr moving to Canada, I am now a Canadian citizen.
I have 10 years clinical exp, canadian, good canadian LOR's some from PD's here, passed Canadian exams ,was planning on pursuing residency here.
However now we have an opportunity to move to USA, on employment offer that is very tempting.
Should I bother with ECFMG/USMLE at all, I know I can pass the exams with good scores, but will the lack of residency and published articles trip me?
I have been working in a clinical setting, both in management and research, and directly with patients/physicians. Does that count ?
Full life also, kids, busy as heck, but LOVE to cram, and can recite Kaplan :) Crazy and hardworking.
Any hope if I get good scores? We will have H1B ,both hubby and I upon landing.
Liksy

Re: Should I bother at all...

Postby anatolyk » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:20 am

Being Canadian ciizen, J1 or H1B should not be a concern at all. With good scores and Canadian clinical experience, you should have no problem finding residency in the US. Finding residency in Canada is MUCH more difficult.
anatolyk

Re: Should I bother at all...

Postby Liksy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Thank you anatolyk, that is very encouraging. I am a little intimidated by the fact that I am an old grad, but I have seen older colleagues make it.
Canada is awesome, but getting residency is very tough .
I guess it's cram time....
Liksy

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Programs. IMG Friendly Hospitals