Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

neurosurgery as an IMG - what are my chances?

Program scoop. IMG friendly programs/hospitals

neurosurgery as an IMG - what are my chances?

Postby co-amoxiclav » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi all

Just a quick one.

Provided I was to get a top step 1 score, a major neurosurgical publication, a masters in clinical neuroscience, but a somewhat average undergrad med-school transcript. Do you think I would stand a chance at getting into a neurosurg residency?

I should point out I have a British passport, am a native english speaker and have completed my foundation training thus far in London.

I am trying to decide whether to pursue a career in the US or Australia before committing. I am considering taking some time out towards the end of my master's to do a neurosurg observership in the US (will this be worth it?).

Also, what would be the chances of getting into neurosurgery from a general surgery residency? Would this route be more advisable as an IMG?

Thanks

CA
co-amoxiclav

Re: neurosurgery as an IMG - what are my chances?

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:57 pm

Neurosurgery is extremely competitive and almost not accessible for IMGs. According to NRMP there were 204 Neurological Surgery positions offered in the Match 2013. This is certainly too few considering the competition. You may try applying to Neurosurgery, but you definitely stand better chances at General Surgery. Surgery is very competitive, but IMG friendly.

You may try to match with General Surgery training and then do your best to find Neurosurgery opening. If you are lucky enough you succeed!

U.S. clinical experience in Surgery/Neurosurgery would be very beneficial for your residency application, both General Surgery and Neurological Surgery.
Julia IMG Residency

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Programs. IMG Friendly Hospitals