Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

GREEN CARD

Immigration issues, H1B and J1 visa sponsorship issues

GREEN CARD

Postby drb » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:40 pm

I have heard that certain residency programs actually do the Green Card processing for their residents. Can anybody(anatoly or TheVisaExpert) please let me know if they are aware of any such hospitals.
Thank you
drb

Postby anatolyk » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:06 pm

I am not. Nowadays the process takes more than 3 years, so I am not sure how can a 3-year program have it done.
anatolyk

Postby drb » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:14 pm

A reliable source informed that the processing time for doctors(and some other caterories like Ph.Ds, and CSAs) is less than 2yrs as they come under EB1 as opposed to software engineers and Masters' graduates from US who come under the EB2 and EB3 where the processing time might exceed 4 yrs. It is not to contradict what you said, but just to share my part of info. which obviously could be false. I also heard that very very few hospitals actually sponsor greencards for their residents. Maybe that very very few doesn't exist either.
drb

Postby TheVisaExpert » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:23 pm

I have come across some hospitals that do sponsor doctors for green cards, but I have not heard of any sponsoring residents. If you can find a hospital that is willing to sponsor that is great! However, I'm not sure which category that they would sponsor a resident under since residency is considered training and recruitment would probably turn up with qualified U.S. citizens to fill the spots, not to mention it takes years for green cards to be approved.

The EB-1 category can be used by doctors and researchers to self-sponsor for the green card. Current processing times for this green card category are about one year across the country. You will also receive work authorization and a travel permit within 2-3 months. This is a great option for qualified doctors/researchers to have because you do not have to stay at a certain hospital for years, as is the case with a typical green card application. You would sponsor yourself, with no affiliation to a hospital. Some hospitals help doctors with the EB-1 application process because it much quicker than the typical green card route.

EB-1 green card applications require the doctor/researcher to have extraordinary abilities in his/her area of expertise. This can be demonstrated through published articles, citations to such articles, presentations before large groups of peers, memberships, awards, etc. If you are thinking about using this category in the future, you should begin building up your credentials as soon as possible.
TheVisaExpert

Postby drb » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:59 pm

Appreciate ur response...
U r really a pro buddy...
maybe u shud become a legal counsel for IMGs.. well that was a joke..
thanks
drb

Postby TheVisaExpert » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm

Actually I am an immigration attorney, so if you need any further assistance please feel free to post!
TheVisaExpert

Postby drb » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:14 pm

Well, I'm not sure if the blog permits this kind of talk...
But with due respect to anatoly and other administrators...
I am still stuck in the rigmarole of interviews..but once I am through and if needing advice or documentation... i will surely knock on ur door sir..
drb

Postby anatolyk » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:27 am

I do not see anything wrong with what TheVisaExpert does. She provides a free legal analysis without any self-promotion.

I really appreciate her effort in sharing knowledge with us.
anatolyk

Need advice from the Visa Expert

Postby drb » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:09 pm

Mam,

Thanks to God's grace and a lot of input from this great website, I succesfully landed in a residency program. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me your email address, as I need a person to assist me with the H1 processing, and I found you to be really knowledgable about the visa issues of to be residents. I'd really appreciate your help.

I hope the administrators do not mind my blog, as anatoly has already clarified that in this scratch.
drb

Contact Information

Postby TheVisaExpert » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:56 pm

Feel free to contact me at: info@thevisaexpert.com
My website is: www.thevisaexpert.com
TheVisaExpert

Re: GREEN CARD

Postby iamracheldooley » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:57 am

I am a qualified doctor and has over 8 years of experience in surgery. How long do you think it will take to get the US Citizenship? I am from Sydney, Australia and I've build up credit but getting many awards and taking conferences.
iamracheldooley

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 pm

iamracheldooley wrote:I am a qualified doctor and has over 8 years of experience in surgery. How long do you think it will take to get the US Citizenship? I am from Sydney, Australia and I've build up credit but getting many awards and taking conferences.

You need to consult with the immigration attorney to research your options of possible U.S. citizenship. This is a challenging task. Getting into U.S. medical residency is one of the scenarios. I must say here that General Surgery is very competitive specialty. So if you choose this path, you want to prepare for the application process well. Target 90+ on USMLEs, plan on getting U.S. hospital experience in the field as well as U.S. LORs from the Surgeons.

But in order to start you certainly want to get a professional consultations from the immigration attorney to set the best action plan, know your realistic chances, and have an idea of the timeline.

Good luck!!!
Julia IMG Residency

Postby romavia » Mon May 06, 2013 7:13 am

Now a day there are a lot of people who are doing illegal works for the sake of Green Cards, which is actually not good for the environment of the country. And, all the illegalities are considered, as the crime in the books of LAW.
romavia

Postby care » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:54 pm

Yeah!!! You are right.. I agree your point regarding illegal green cards.....

Christ university direct admission
care

Return to Immigration and Visas