Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

H1b vs J1

Immigration issues, H1B and J1 visa sponsorship issues

H1b vs J1

Postby guest » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:16 am

Hi anatolyk,
I would like to know if you have any knowledge about this-
1. I heard that J1 visa is better if interested in pursuing fellowship as most programs dont want to sponsor H1 for fellowship......how true is it?
2. Is getting a J1 waiver more easier than getting a job which will sponsor H1/GC?
3. Other than the 2 yr home country requirement, is J1 associated with any kind of problems, like ECFMG refusing to sponsor or could any problem arise after joining residency(eg. 2nd year)?

Can you throw some light on these issues......will really appreciate it.
Thanks for your time and suggestions.
:)

Postby guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:55 am

Anybody pls.......

J1 H1 fellowship/Work

Postby anatolyk » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:19 pm

Sorry, I don't know the answer :(
anatolyk

Postby guest » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:44 pm

Thanks anyway.

Postby guest24 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:49 pm

hi guest if u got the answers to your query from any source do let me know as i too have same questions.plzzz reply on "nit2481@yahoo.com".will be grateful to you
guest24

h1 versus J1

Postby bansal » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:51 pm

hi,
1. I heard that J1 visa is better if interested in pursuing fellowship as most programs dont want to sponsor H1 for fellowship......how true is it?
A: yes it is true that getting fellowship is little easier with J1,as many universities don't sponsor H1.but overall H1 is best.as getting fellowship is now getting harder.so you should always try for H1.
2. Is getting a J1 waiver more easier than getting a job which will sponsor H1/GC?
A: J1 waiver is becoming tough day by days,but is not impossible.i would say H1 job is easy to get then J1 waiver.
3. Other than the 2 yr home country requirement, is J1 associated with any kind of problems, like ECFMG refusing to sponsor or could any problem arise after joining residency(eg. 2nd year)?
A:no once you have joined,there are no difficulties generally.

In summary:best for IMG is H1.
bansal

hi bansal

Postby guest » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:53 am

is it possible to change program once you are in residency in j1 ?
and what if you change speciality too? pls clarify

Postby bansal » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:19 am

changing program is ok, but still difficult. changing speciality is vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv difficult. you have to give the explanation in the state licensing board, in short vvvvvvv difficult.
bansal

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Immigration and Visas