Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Please help regarding visa for research fellowship

Immigration issues, H1B and J1 visa sponsorship issues

Please help regarding visa for research fellowship

Postby usmlefolk » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:27 am

I am an IMG and want to pursue a research fellowship..I applied in a program and they agreed to take me for an unpaid position. My husband is
on H1 visa and i will be getting H4. recently I got the following mail from the program. He said i cannot do even an observership on H4 visa. I could not understand what exactly does he mean. Please help me.
below is the letter that i got. Kindly advise me what to do.

Dear Dr…

I have checked with the Human Resources Department, International Scholar Program at University of…… regarding your eligibility as a research scholar, and have outlined the requirements below:

1) If you come into the US on an H4 Visa as your husband’s dependent, you are not allowed to work in the US (or volunteer) so you cannot participate in any program at university of …. on an H4 Visa

2) If you wish to participate in the International Scholar Program, you can apply for a J-1 visa through the program, however, you will need to show that you have funding by your home institution or country (minimum $12,000 per year). Personal funding is not sufficient nor can you be supported as a dependent through your husband’s fellowship stipend. You MUST have some other funding to be eligible for the International Scholar Program.

3) You are also required to have health insurance in effect to cover yourself during the fellowship period.

If you are able to obtain a J-1 visa, we will be able to sponsor you during your period of study under the International Scholar Program and offer you a non-paid appointment as Visiting Faculty at the university of…. for the purposes of education, observation, professional development, and research with no element of patient care. I can begin the application process as soon as we determine that you are able to meet the minimum funding guidelines.
usmlefolk

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Immigration and Visas