Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Whole immigration process

Immigration issues, H1B and J1 visa sponsorship issues

Whole immigration process

Postby circepix » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:48 am

Hello, I'm new on the forum. :) I hope this isn't the kind of question you hear all the time(I tried looking it up on the forum and couldn't find anything that would answer my exact question), but I will soon finish medical school and I'm interested in immigrating into the US. However, the whole process is extremely unclear to me. I've looked it up, but honestly, as a non-US citizen I have no idea what I'm reading when I come across terms like J-1 and H-something and do not understand the steps that i need to take to become a doctor in the US. :) I would like to know more about the entire process of becoming a licensed doctor in the US. I would also like to mention I do not only want to do my residency in the US, I would like to live there permanently. I know I need to take the 3 Steps of the USMLE, however it is unclear to me how things go after that.

How EXACTLY do I go about getting employed? I do not have US citizenship and I know I would need some kind of work visa, but what about a Green Card? How is that obtained? If anyone could give a small example of their experience, or really just summarize the actual steps. I don't want to spend my money on taking the Steps and then go to the US and realize I can't get hired, I can't work there and I'm starving. :)

Thank you for your time. :)
circepix

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Immigration and Visas